There are a few benefits to selling your old desktops instead of keeping them; some of them are:
- You can get some extra cash. Even if your desktops are already old and/or obsolete, you may still get some money for them and recoup some of your investment. You can then use this money to buy new computers, other devices, pay down debt, or other financial uses.
- Freeing up space in your home or office. Unused old desktops can take up valuable space in your home or office space. Selling them can help you declutter and utilize the space more efficiently.
- Environmental considerations: improper disposal of electronic devices—including your desktops— can harm the environment due to the presence of hazardous materials like lead or silicon. By selling your used desktops, you can allow others to reuse or recycle the desktop, which may help reduce electronic waste.
- Protect your privacy: most likely, you have confidential or sensitive data stored on your old desktops. If the desktops are compromised (i.e., get stolen) when lying around at your home or office, this data will also be compromised. Many IT equipment buyers (including Big Data Supply Inc.) provide secure data wiping services, ensuring your sensitive data is well protected.
The eligibility of your used desktop for sale depends on a number of factors, and here are the most important ones:
- Specifications: desktops with newer and/or higher specifications (i.e., CPU, RAM, storage capacity, GPU) tend to be more desirable to potential buyers. If your desktop’s specification is considered too low for today’s standards, it may be difficult to find potential buyers.
- Condition: is the desktop in good working order? Is there any significant physical damage? Are there any functional issues? Naturally, desktops in good condition tend to attract more potential buyers.
- Age: while sometimes older models can be high in demand, newer desktops tend to have higher demand and thus have a higher resale value.
- Market demand: research the current market demand (for example, on online marketplaces like Amazon or auction sites like eBay) to determine whether there is a demand for your desktop’s specific models and specifications.
- Compatibility: desktops that are compatible with frequently used software or operating systems tend to have higher demands than those without compatibility. Also, check whether your used desktops have the licenses for important OSs and any other important software installed on the device. Make sure that the old desktop complies with relevant software licensing agreements.
It’s worth noting, however, that different buyers may have their specific preferences or requirements. You might want to reach out to as many potential buyers as possible, or consult with professionals who specialize in buying/selling used IT equipment, including desktops.
Here are some methods you can consider determining the value of your used desktop:
- Gather data: collect all relevant information about your desktop, its model, brand, specification details (CPU, GPU, RAM, storage capacity), and any other details that may affect its resale value (i.e., additional components or accessories that are included with the package.)
- Evaluate condition: consider the condition of your desktop. Evaluate for any physical wear and tear, functional issues, and upgrades/replacements you may have made on the devices. It’s best to be honest about any defects or deficiencies to potential buyers.
- Market research: you can do a simple market research to find out the current market value of similar desktops. You can check out online marketplaces (Amazon, eBay, Craigslist), forums, and IT reseller websites to get a rough idea of the price range for comparable desktops. You can also contact local electronic stores or pawn shops in your area, who may be able to give you a quote for your desktop.
- Request quotes: reach out to Big Data Supply Inc. to obtain a quote for your used desktop. By providing accurate and detailed information about your desktop, you can get an accurate assessment of its value.
- Consult with professionals: if you are still unsure about the value of your old desktop, consider consulting with experts or IT professionals who specialize in buying/reselling used IT assets. They may be able to provide insights based on their market knowledge and experience.
While Big Data Supply Inc. is an IT asset disposition company that specializes in bulk buying and selling, we take this case by case but typically more than a dozen of newer models could work and there is no maximum quantity of tablets that you can sell to Big Data Supply Inc.
If you are interested in selling your desktops, we encourage you to contact us ASAP to discuss your specific needs. We’d be happy to work together with you to find a beneficial solution for the both of us.
We offer free quotes for all used desktops, and we would be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Big Data Supply Inc. buys most brands and models of desktops, including custom ones. However, we do not buy desktops that have been severely damaged and/or are more than 10 years old.
To make sure that your personal/sensitive data is completely erased from the desktop before selling it, here are some steps you can take:
- Backup important data: first things first, make sure to back up any important data you may want to keep. Do this before you start any data erasure process, so you won’t regret it later.
- Factory reset your OS: your operating system should provide the option to perform a hard reset/factory reset, which will erase all personal files, apps, and settings on your desktop. You can follow the instructions provided by the operating system. Keep in mind that this process may not 100% guarantee that your files are unrecoverable.
- Use data erasure software: there are a number of data erasure apps/programs that can ensure the secure wiping of your files, so they are unrecoverable. Some popular ones are:
- For Windows: DBAN (free/open-source), Eraser (free/open-source), BitRaser (paid)
- For macOS: Disk Utility (macOS built-in), Secure Eraser (free/open source)
- Verify: after the data wiping process, double-check that all personal files have been successfully removed from the desktop’s HDDs or SSDs. Use data recovery software to scan the drives and confirm that the data is not recoverable.
However, if you are selling your desktop to Big Data Supply Inc., we will securely erase all of your personal files and data using our variety of secure methods. We will ensure that your data is completely removed and unrecoverable, and will provide you with a Certificate of Data Destruction for compliance purposes.